Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Day 3: The Translator

Still dissatisfied with my lack of knowledge about India, I asked my aunt this morning for suggestions on how best to remedy the situation. She said that I should use my driver (who drives me to work—trust me, it’s too dangerous to drive yourself), Thanveer, as a translator. I was skeptical, but on the car ride over I asked him what languages he speaks. He rattled off the names of five or six languages, and this convinced me to try and ask my CRM if I could have a translator. At the office, I did ask and even though they said yes, I felt as certain handicap. However, the translations were crucial in making this day a complete success. 

The first three meetings this morning were loan collection meetings just like yesterday. However, today the CRS made the clients recite the Ujjivan pledge about being safe and responsible with their loans. As on Day One, there were 20-25 people at these meetings. While they went well, there was one obvious complication: Many of the clients did not like the timing of these meetings, as they were held during normal business hours. At each meeting, they respectfully told the CRS that they did not like the meeting times. Other than this hiccup, meetings were smooth and disciplined. 

Today, the CRS could speak English well, and explained the many small details of the loan process, including maximum amounts and eligibility of clients. I also had my driver ask the women what they use the loans for. The majority of women responded with education. These women care about giving their children a better future by providing them an education. Unlike in the United States, education is not mandatory here. However, many clients understand the importance of education for their children. Other clients reported using the loans for their businesses (including cloth weaving, running a hotel, jewelry tiling, baking, etc.). 

In the afternoon, I attended 3 GRTs (Group Recognition Tests), where each group of women (women apply for loans in groups) are made to understand and comprehend Ujjivan's loaning system, mission, and rules. They also have to show ID and proof of ownership. They are asked many questions, and the CRS makes sure they work together cohesively as a group. These tests can be quite long, making the 3 meetings very tedious work. However, seeing the joy on the women's faces as they pass the test, knowing that they are one step closer to achieving their dreams, is worth it. The pictures below are of two different group meetings.



No comments:

Post a Comment